Finding the right dentist in the State of Maryland might be a daunting task, especially if you haven’t visited your previous dentist for over one year already. The good news is that there are many Maryland Dentists you can choose from. According to a recent survey conducted by the American Dental Association (ADA) this summer, a staggering number of 80 million adults living in the United States haven’t visited a dentist in the last year. Among them, only 20% (20 million) have their own dentist.
For some people, the problem might be the fear to go to the dentist, while others are too busy to find the right dentist out there who could meet their needs. You might find a good dentist in Maryland who won’t break your budget, but of course there is another aspect you want to take into consideration, and that is the location. In order to save time, most people choose a dentist whose cabinet is near their workplace or home. However, before choosing the best Maryland dental professional, you need to take into consideration several important aspects.
Things to Consider Before Choosing the Right Dentist for You
1. Location. This is probably the most important aspect when looking for a reputable dentist in MD. Try to find one that has a cabinet close to your workplace or home, because you will save plenty of time and money on means of transportation or gas. For example, if you live in Annapolis and you work in Baltimore, it’s no use to choose a dentist from Washington or Chester.
2. Office hours. Another important factor anyone should consider are the days and hours the cabinet is open for consultations. For example, if you are unable to schedule an appointment because you are working an early shift all through the week, including Saturdays, you should choose another doctor who can schedule you an appointment on Sundays.
3. Cost. It is important to know the standard prices regarding Maryland Dentistry services. A standard consultation fee can reach $60, but for a more extensive and complex treatment, the maximum fee can reach $300. Moreover, try to find if that particular dentist accepts your insurance and if he offers multiple payment options, such as personal checks, credit cards or payment plans. Ask for a quote before appealing to a certain dentist, because you need to figure out which dentist offers the best price for the services rendered.
4. Professional qualifications. The dentist training in an aspect you don’t want to pass by. If the dentist’s office looks deplorable, the staff is unable to answer your questions and the doctor doesn’t want to show his qualification, that is a good sign that you should consider finding another dentist. You can also try the other side of the coin, obtaining the information you need by simply calling the local dental society in order to inquire about that specific dentist. By doing so, you can remove all the hassle of going to the cabinet and making a fool out of yourself.
5. Personal comfort. According to most of the clients reviewed in the survey conducted by ADA this summer, over 70% declared that personal comfort is the number one factor they take into consideration when choosing one of the best Maryland Dentists. If you don’t feel comfortable with one person and you are unable to talk to him about your symptoms, then it is time to keep searching. A professional dentist should be able to empathize with you and to help you understand the real cause of your problems.
6. Emergency care. It is also important to make sure that your dentist will be able to aid you in case of emergency. It would be great to find a dentist that can be contacted at any hour of the day or night.
7. License. Before finding the best and most professional dentist out there, you need to make sure that that specific dentist in approved by ADA. In order to be licensed, a dentist needs to meet all education, examination, experience and training requirements. In the state of Maryland, in order to be licensed as a dentist, one has to be at least 21 years of age, have at least 60 hours of pre professional education, complete a residency program and lastly to obtain passing scores on both exams (Part I and II) of the National Board Dental Examination.
Finding the Right Dentist
Now that you know what things are important to be considered before start searching for a professional dentist who can meet your needs and fulfill your expectations, you need to know how to find the right dentist in Maryland. The following tips will guide you through this daunting process.
- Ask for recommendations. Ask your close friends and family members who visited one of the Maryland Dentists recently. If their smile looks great, and they confess that the dentist who helped them acquire it offers his services at great prices, you should write down the name of that particular dentist. You might also want to ask your friends some questions:
“How long did you have to sit in the waiting room?”
“How well does your dentist explain the treatment options available?”
“What about the emergency cases?”
In addition to your friends and family members, you should also ask your physician and your current dentist. They might recommend someone who is extremely talented and will suit your needs perfectly.
- Make some calls. Once you get the names of some dentists you are interested in, it is time to narrow your search. First and foremost, call their offices and ask them a few questions. Try to discover if he is working with other specialists and if he has a hygienist. As a matter of fact, a dentist working without a few specialists and without a hygienist is not the best out there. No dentist is good at everything, because each of them is specialized on certain services. So for example if you need cosmetic dentistry services, but he offers only restorative dentistry services, there is no point going further with your inquiry. Hang up and call the next name on the list.
- Consider a visit. The last step you need to make in the process of finding the right dentist is to schedule a consultation that won’t involve any dental work. Try to observe the surroundings, check the sterilization area and think about whether or not you would like to work with this doctor. In addition, never underestimate the importance of office aesthetics. You need to like the staff and the environment in order to have a positive experience at the doctor.
Finding a professional dentist among many Maryland Dentists is not that difficult, especially if you’ll take your time to conduct a thorough research. The tips listed above should help you take the best decision when it comes to choosing a professional and experienced dentist in Maryland.